Published on October 14th, 2011 | by Charlie0
Keeping Your Sex Toys Clean and In Good Working Order
Cleaning Sex Toys
Depending on the type of material they are made from, you may want to clean them differently:
- Jelly, Rubber/Latex: Toys made from these materials are porous so making sure you wash them thoroughly after every use is vital. Use warm water and an anti-bacterial soap is preferred. Make sure there is no soap left on the toy as this could cause you irritation the next time you use it.
- Silicone: Silicone dildos are easy to maintain. If they are not battery operated or with any electrical components, you can boil them for two minutes or so, or just wash and rinse them with soapy water. Make sure they completely air dry before storing.
- Plastic/Acrylic/Glass: Any sex toys made from these materials can be sterilized using a cotton ball soaked in alcohol and then rinsed afterward. All three materials can be washed with warm water and anti-bacterial soap and anything made from acrylic or glass can be boiled (as long as it’s not battery operated).
Protecting Your Sex Toys
Whether you want to share your sex toys or want to use them on different orifices the best way to make your toys last longer and keep clean and hygienic is to use new condoms every time they’re used. This can prevent infections from spreading and will most certainly extend the life of your toys.
Storing Your Sex Toys
There are a few things you can do to maximise the lifespan of your sex toys. One way is to know how to store these items correctly. Here are a few tips:
- Make sure everything is completely dry before storing away. This will stop them from developing mold or mildew.
- Take the batteries out every time you put them away. This will stop them from possibly leaking or running down.
- Store toys in a dry, cool location like a drawer or box. Make sure that they aren’t exposed to excess heat or sunlight which can cause them to discolour or even have problems working.
- Always clean your vibrators and other toys just before you put them away and when you are getting them out to be used.
When To Replace Your Sex Toys
Like anything you buy, your sex toys won’t last forever. Here are a few signs you should look out for that indicate it may be time for some new toys:
- Battery corrosion is visible
- It has stopped working or slowed down even when you put new batteries in
- There are cracks, the item is deteriorating or there is mold and mildew visible
By taking care of your sex toys and keeping them clean and maintained, you will find that you’ll be able to enjoy them time after time, whilst continuing to lengthen their lifespan by looking after them properly.